Thursday, November 17, 2011

Kami Japanese Steakhouse- Apple Valley, MN


A few months ago I purchased a Groupon coupon for Kami Japanese Steakhouse. My Groupon was about to expire so my husband and I figured we better get over there so another coupon didn’t go to waste.

Kami is located on the first floor of a little strip mall/office building. It was a little quiet since everything else was closed due to the fact it was a Sunday night. We were greeted by the host who asked if we would like to do the all you can eat sushi and steak or if we would like to do the hibachi grill. We were both a little tired since we had a wedding the day before and didn’t necessarily feel like being entertained by a hibachi chef if we didn’t have to be, so we figured we should check and see if we could eat the hibachi food without sitting at the hibachi grill. Due to a policy change this wasn’t an option any longer. We knew this may be the case so we were just fine with it.

The host informed us that we would be sat in approximately 15 minutes. It seemed as though this restaurant waits until the hibachi table is full before seating instead of having a partial table, which makes sense to me. We took a seat in the lobby which was in the same room as the bar and waited for them to bring us back.

The hibachi grill area seemed pretty much like all of the others except here they had 4 grills (two clusters) in one room. The group we were sat next to was sort of quiet so that paired with the closed off room was a little awkward at first. Our server was very friendly and made sure to check and see if we had any coupons and I think the majority of the couples at our table did.

I ordered an amaretto sour and Greg ordered a Japanese beer, Kirin. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of my whole meal since I pretty much just ate everything as it was cooked and placed in front of me. The dinners here included soup, a salad (a little smaller than I am used to seeing), noodles, shrimp, vegetables and rice (or the option to upgrade to fried rice). For dinner I chose the filet and Greg got the filet and chicken combo. We both upgraded to fried rice. Our hibachi chef was great. He did the typical hibachi tricks but also threw one in that I hadn’t seen before, throwing the fried rice bowl around including behind him. It was impressive.


The food here had a little more flavor than the other hibachi restaurants I have been to recently. We were both really pleased with our meals. I had a little food left over for lunch the next day but of course it wasn’t nearly as good the second day. As we all know, hibachi restaurants are expensive but you do get a lot of food for your money so it sort of balances out. The prices seemed to be right in line with Osaka’s and other comparable restaurants. I would definitely recommend dining at Kami Japanese Steakhouse. I think the quality and flavor were great and it is nice having another hibachi restaurant in the suburbs.

Date of visit: Sunday 11/13/2011- 6:30 pm
First time here: Yes
Total of bill before tip: $74.22- $40 coupon = $34.22 (amaretto sour, beer, Filet Mignon & Chicken, Filet Mignon and 2 fried rice upgrades.
Recommended: Yes
http://kamifinedine.com/index.html

1 comment: